[llvm-dev] Orc JIT v1 Deprecation

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 22 13:13:48 PDT 2019

Hi Alex,

I'll try to migrate my code to the v2 API and describe the process, but
> please don't take my words as a promise :-D

No worries. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

After re-reading my statement I realized that it was too harsh, sorry about
> that. I rather meant that I was only able to get information post factum,
> which reminded some of our hardware vendors :)

 No worries. Getting concurrency into ORC (which is the main aim of ORCv2,
vs ORCv1) has involved a lot of trial and error, and corresponding churn in
the APIs, and that has made documentation challenging. This isn't intended
to be a permanent state of affairs though, and the more the APIs settle
down, the easier and more rewarding documentation will be (both to write
and to use).

> I plan to add deprecation attributes to the legacy classes on trunk so
> that clients who use 9.0 receive warnings.
> That's a very good idea. I think I understand your motivation to force
> everyone to use the new APIs, but I also think it makes sense to make the
> migration process a bit more smooth.

I have filed http://llvm.org/PR41986 if anyone wants to jump on it. :)

-- Lang.