[llvm-dev] [RFC] Changes to llvm.experimental.vector.reduce intrinsics

Sander De Smalen via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 16 05:53:38 PDT 2019

Hello again,

I've been meaning to follow up on this thread for the last couple of weeks, my apologies for the delay.

To summarise the feedback on the proposal for vector.reduce.fadd/fmul:

There seems to be consensus to keep the explicit start value to better accommodate chained reductions (as opposed to generating IR that performs the reduction of the first element using extract/fadd/insert pattern). An important use-case for these reductions is to work inside vectorized loops, where chaining happens through the reduction value's PHI node (i.e. the scalar reduction value from one iteration will be the input to the next iteration). This intrinsic would also naturally match reduction instructions of ARM SVE and NEC SX-aurora.

For Option A (https://reviews.llvm.org/D60261), there is an argument that code creating or operating on these intrinsics can treat ordered and unordered reductions the same (in that they have the same arguments). Fast-math flags determine whether or not the intrinsic needs to be evaluated in strict order. Codegen for non-strict reductions should be able to fold away the identity-value.

For Option B (https://reviews.llvm.org/D60262), David made the argument that making the reduction-order explicit (as opposed to deducing this from fast-math flags) would ensure the ordering is always as expected, even when FMF on the call sites are dropped for some reason.

Is it correct that I sensed a slight preference for Option A? i.e. Renaming the intrinsics and keeping the same signature, but dropping the special-cased behaviour for the identity-value with non-strict reductions. For David's argument, I think that although the extra expressiveness would be nice to have, LLVM normally depends on the FMF being propagated correctly to produce faster code so this should also be sufficient for reductions.

If we go for Option A, I suggest we drop the 'experimental' prefix from experimental.vector.reduce.fadd/fmul to avoid having to add an awkward '.v2' suffix to the new intrinsic. When we implement all the suggestions from this proposal (possibly including the one mentioned below), I wouldn't really know what other features we could add other than predication (which would be covered by the LLVM-VP proposal and thus require another renaming), or possibly adding 'constrained' variants which I assume would have separate intrinsics. So we might as well drop the 'experimental' prefix.

Finally, do we want to remove the restriction that the result type must always match the vector-element type? A wider result type would then allow the reduction to be performed in the wider type.

Thanks,

Sander