[llvm-dev] generic solution for non-strong link to symbols

Carlo Kok via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 16 00:19:53 PDT 2019

I'm posting this to see anyone else has found a solution for the problem of type info. My compiler emits type info for a type which contains:
 * References to other types
 * Reference to methods and static fields in this type

The problem here is that using rtti from one type pulls in an insane amount of other stuff that most likely won't be needed at all. I would prefer if the things that are not used otherwise are null, however I see no good solution on how to do this. I considered WEAK and LINKONCE, but both seem to solve the opposite problem, and link in the target symbol if it exists at all, and I only want it to be linked in if anything else strongly references it.

Anyone else have this problem and found a workable solution, preferably one that works on win, lin and darwin?

Carlo Kok