[llvm-dev] Delinearization validity checks in DependenceAnalysis

Bardia Mahjour via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 15 09:54:16 PDT 2019

Hi David,

Thank you very much for your response.

I also get correct results for my example (for a 64-bit target) if the
upper bounds are changed to unsigned. The reason is simply because clang
zero-extends `m` for address calculations but sign-extends it for the loop
upper bound. This prevents SCEV from canceling out the 'm' term from the
difference expression that looks like `(-3 + (sext i32 %m to i64) + (-1 *
(zext i32 %m to i64))<nsw>)`. While we cannot reduce expressions of this
form in general, it does pose a sever limitation for the vast majority of
cases where the loop upper bound is non-negative.

Regarding your example, I'm not sure I fully understand the concern and I
would appreciate it if you could clarify that for me. My understanding is
that if the intended shape of 'a' is in fact 'a[n][m]' then the example, as
provided, has an out-of-bound access to start with. To avoid this out-bound
access one would need to change the upper bound of the j-loop to be 'm-2'.
Interestingly, if we do that, the current validity checks start to pass and
we get [0 2] as the dependence vector. Here's a slightly modified version
of your example that I tried:

```
typedef unsigned long long TT;
void foo(TT n, TT m, int *a) {
  for (TT i = 0; i < n; ++i)
    for (TT j = 0; j < m-2; ++j) {
      a[i*m + j] = a[i*m + j+2];
    }
}
```

If the concern is that the actual intended shape of the array may have been
something other than a[n][m], and that we are indexing it such that the
accesses are in-bound with respect to the memory of the whole array but not
with respect to individual dimensions, then I'm not sure we can reason
about *any* delinearization statically (except for the limited cases where
the bounds are compile-time known).

Am I misunderstanding the issue?

Bardia Mahjour
Compiler Optimizations