[llvm-dev] RFC: On removing magic numbers assuming 8-bit bytes

JF Bastien via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 9 10:29:34 PDT 2019

> On May 9, 2019, at 5:29 AM, Jesper Antonsson via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 11:12 -0700, Philip Reames wrote:
>> On 5/8/19 1:25 AM, Jesper Antonsson wrote:

>>> Yes, my interpretation is that the community is leaning toward
>>> addressable unit as terminology.

>>> My hope and belief is that having good names instead of these
>>> magical
>>> numbers won't be a burden but rather an improvement long-term.

>>> That is not on the table right now. However, as the work required
>>> make such an inclusion happen will be reduced by this cleanup, the
>>> likelihood that it happens in the future should increase.
>>
>> Given this, I'm not sure the community as a whole should take on the
>> burden of supporting non b-byte addressable units.  I see this as a
>> precondition.  To be clear, I don't care *which* backend there is,
>> doesn't have to be yours, but the presence of at least one would seem
>> necessary for testing if nothing else.
>
> I agree that an in-tree target is needed for actual support. However,
> we're merely suggesting a gradual cleanup of magic numbers in order to
> make the code a bit more readable and make life easier for a number of
> downstream targets. It will not result in support, but it would make
> any effort to create support (or maintain support downstream)
> significantly smaller. This would also make it a bit more likely that
> LLVM is the compiler of choice for such targets, some of which might
> want to upstream eventually.
>
> The onus is on interested parties to maintain any gains, and Ericsson
> is offering to do that in a no-drama way with the help of other
> companies that have voiced their interest. We continuously merge and
> test against top of tree and would act accordingly, if allowed.
>
> As the discussion is subsiding, I'm unsure about how to conclude this
> RFC. Several parties have said they support this effort, others have
> pitched in with suggestions on terminology and such (which perhaps
> indicates that they are not opposed in general). JF Bastien and you ask
> for in-tree targets, although JF did indicate that it made sense to
> first clean up.

I don’t think you have consensus to move forward at this point in time. My expectation, which I think represents LLVM’s historical approach, is that a path to full support be planned out before this effort starts. Concretely, I expect a real-world backend to be committed to LLVM as a necessary step. What I meant upthread was: yes it makes sense to do cleanups before landing a backend, but someone has to commit to upstreaming a backend before you start the cleanups. When I say a backend I don’t mean a toy, I mean a real backend.

Right now we have no commitment on anybody landing a backend, and we don’t really have a concrete idea of what you’re even proposing to change or how. You’re focusing on “magic numbers” like everyone agrees 8 is the root of all evil, and it’s really not. Let’s say someone promises to upstream a backend, what concretely do you need to change, and in which projects, to get there? Are you changing clang, and how? What about libc++? Linker? LLVM, and how? Is IR going to change? If not, do you keep all the i8* around, and how do you work around not having void* in IR?

The above is, I think, necessary but not sufficient to moving forward.

> On "byte" vs "addressable unit", we've been thinking a bit and are
> leaning toward staying with the prevalent "byte" terminology for as
> long as upstream is 8-bit-only to avoid mixed terminology or larger
> patches. However, we're flexible on this, and I've uploaded a twin
> patch (in D61725) to my original showcase showing how "addressable
> unit" could look.

>>> I'm not sure how to interpret that, but our team here at Ericsson
>>> is
>>> fairly large, we have been working with this out-of-tree backend
>>> since
>>> 2011 and as a group, we contribute to upstream e.g. by helping out