[llvm-dev] [RFC] migrating LLVM to C++14

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 6 14:08:02 PDT 2019

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 2:44 PM James Y Knight <jyknight at google.com> wrote:

> Given the small number of library features added by c++14, and given that
> they were mostly already implemented in libstdc++ 4.9 [1], I suspect that
> moving to c++14 with that stdlib as the minimum probably will not actually
> cause friction for developers who are using normal toolchains to be able to
> keep compatibility with it.
>
> The main thing missing seems to be heterogeneous lookup in associative
> containers. While llvm often uses its own containers, that's not
> universally the case, so it is possible someone may run into that
> deficiency when trying to write new code.

Again, I'm not really opposed to this, but I'd like to understand what the
process is for keeping these from creeping into the codebase. I mean, we
can just revert all the patches that introduce failures here, but that
seems somewhat unfriendly w/o build bots. What I don't think we can do is
commit to fixing (without revert) any patch that introduces an issue.