[llvm-dev] Proposal to add preprocessor warning for unused command line macros

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 6 13:32:50 PDT 2019

My concern would be that most build systems have their command line
arguments built up for the whole project - (eg: I want the 32 bit API
to this library, so I add -DFOO_LIB_32 to my project command line
arguments). The specific compilations that use that macro vary over
time, depending on which parts of the project use the library (maybe I
start with the usage in one source, then refactor it into anotehr
file, etc).

So I'm not sure warning on unused would suit - thinking of them sort
of like a generic header file that all the code includes - and we
can't warn about the unused macros in such a header because maybe in
one situation it's included only a fraction of its macros are used.
(same as other unused entities in headers/on the command line).

- Dave