[llvm-dev] monorepo: bad performance when using gitk / git log

David Greene via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 27 09:20:08 PDT 2019

Björn Pettersson A via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:

> I’m not so familiar with the inner details of git. Could this be a bad
> repack of the llvm-projects repo or something?
>
> Or is it just that we now squeeze so many commits into the same repo
> that I should expect the performance to be even worse in the future?

All of your log commands log the entire history of the repository.
Since the monorepo contains the history of all projects, it's a lot more
than the individual project repositories used to contain.

I don't know what gitk does in terms of logging.  If it insists on
logging the entire history, then yes, it's going to be slower with the
monorepo.

Personally, I rarely have the need to log further back than a couple of
years of history and the monorepo has been all right for that.  On the
rare occasion I need to look back much further, the extra time hasn't be
burdensome.  But then I never use gitk.

                          -David