[llvm-dev] GSoC19: Improve LLVM binary utilities

Jake Ehrlich via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 26 11:31:20 PDT 2019

Hi Seiya,

What should I prioritize? I suppose that improving llvm-objcopy is the most
> crucial work in this summer.

This is an opinion that will vary a lot from person to person. At the top
of my list is improvements to llvm-objdump and working on MachO backends
for LLD and llvm-objcopy. The critical thing to avoid IMO is implementing
features without a direct use case in mind. I've let myself fall victim to
this mistake many times before. I would ask the community for improvements
they want to see and especially relay on your host to guide the direction
you take. If you and your host feel that llvm-objcopy is the most critical
then I certainly know some people and use cases that would be interested
and will respond to an email on llvm-dev asking what you could work on.
Several people have been adding bugs for llvm-objcopy recently and you
should be able to find things to do there.

How can I avoid proposing functionalities that others are already working
> on? It seems that the tools have been still actively developed.

The bug tracker is one way to look at this, people will say if they're
working on any open bugs there. In practice I found that if I have a real
use case and the feature I need hasn't been implemented, no one is likely
to be currently working on it. For bigger features you should email
llvm-dev. Many people are likely to have thought about how bigger features
should be implemented and there's a better chance that someone is already
actively working on things.

Are there good first issues related to the project? This is the first time
> for me to dig into the LLVM source code so currently I cannot show
> convincing evidence that I'm able to work on the project.

Well I have biased opinions. I'd like alignment to be better handled in
llvm-objdump, I'd like for symbol references to be resolved in an easier to
parse fashion, and for module and function offsets to be output in a way
that makes them easy to jump between.