[llvm-dev] A question about "make check-all"

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 21 09:55:53 PDT 2019

Hi Ben,

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 at 10:59, Ben Shi via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Does "make check-all" cover AVR?

The AVR target is disabled by default; you need to pass
"-DLLVM_EXPERIMENTAL_TARGETS_TO_BUILD=AVR" to CMake when compiling
LLVM to build it. After that check-all will run some basic tests on
AVR. But none of LLVM's regression tests actually try to execute code
-- they just compile things and inspect the output.

> I have neither AVR simulator nor real AVR board connected.

LLVM does have a test-suite in a separate repository that tries to
actually run code. It doesn't attempt to provide a simulator though;
quite the reverse, it expects you to tell it how to execute the code.
You'll also need libraries, headers and binutils (especially a linker)
for the system you intend to run things on.

On Linux I've had good success with qemu and binfmt_misc to make
execution transparent in the past (this was for AArch64), but I expect
you could rig most environments up somehow.

Cheers.

Tim.