[llvm-dev] Missing data on PDB's generated by lld

Martin Storsjö via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 18 15:46:20 PDT 2019

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019, Leonardo Santagada via llvm-dev wrote:

> In this list the only weird one is /bigobj, my main fear is that we
> might get to the limit of sections on an obj and then by adding the
> .debug$H with llvm-objcopy we might get over the limit (I didn't see
> any code on the obj coff writer to deal with that).

The COFF backend in llvm-objcopy is supposed to handle this - it picks
between normal and big objs based on the number of sections when writing
it out. The object type on input shouldn't matter:

https://github.com/llvm-project/llvm/blob/master/tools/llvm-objcopy/COFF/Writer.cpp#L407

This is at least the intent (for which there's at least some unit tests),
but there could of course be cases I didn't think of.

// Martin