[llvm-dev] Scalable Vector Types in IR - Next Steps?

Eric Christopher via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 18 10:39:35 PDT 2019

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 1:55 PM Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 11:22 AM Finkel, Hal J. via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

>> > See the reply I just posted to Hal.  I am not sure we've made a decision
>> > to abandon the current patches.  We may in fact decide that, but I
>> > haven't seen consensus for doing so yet.  In fact I've seen the opposite
>> > -- that people want to move forward with the scalable types.
>>

>> I agree with David. We should move forward with native support for
>> scalable types.
>

> Sorry I haven't been as available as usual for the past few weeks, but FWIW, I still am unconvinced that scalable vector types belong in the IR.
>
> I think this adds complexity to LLVM's IR to serve a niche use case without proven benefit to a broad spectrum of hardware or software. I think the complexity is significant and will be a net drag on all parts of the IR and IR-level transformations. But I don't really think it is useful to re-hash all these debates. Nothing relevant has changed in the years this has been discussed.
>
> That said, if I'm the only one who feels this way (and is willing to actually state this publicly), I'm not going to stop progress.

You're not, and I'm in the same position here. I don't think there's a
really good answer for how this is going to affect a lot of the IR and
IR-level transformations from a maintainability perspective. It mostly
seems like this is a "we need this for the new ISA support" and while
I don't see a lot of compelling use case here and a lot of downside
that there...

-eric