[llvm-dev] RFC: Getting ProfileSummaryInfo and BlockFrequencyInfo from various types of passes under the new pass manager

Fedor Sergeev via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 13 14:37:40 PDT 2019

Overall seems fine to me.

On 3/11/19 8:12 PM, Hiroshi Yamauchi wrote:
> Here's a revised approach based on the discussion:
>
> - Cache PSI right after the profile summary in the IR is written in
> the pass pipeline. This would avoid the need to insert
> RequireAnalysisPass for PSI before each non-module pass that needs it.
> PSI can be technically invalidated but unlikely as PSI is immutable.
> If it does, we can insert another RequireAnalysisPass.
ProfileSummaryInfo::invalidate always return false, so it does not need
any extra handling
(as soon as it finds its way into ModuleAnalysisManager).

> - If PGO, conditionally request BFI from the passes that need it. For
> (pipelined) loop passes, we need to insert a pass that computes BFI
> conditionally (if PGO) in front of them and make them preserve BFI
> through. This is to avoid pipeline interruptions and potential
> invalidation/recomputation of BFI between the loop passes. We detect
> PGO based on whether PSI has profile summary info. (For the old pass
> manager, implement a similar approach by using LazyBlockFrequencyInfo.)
There is already an optional analysis in LoopStandardAnalysisResults -
MemorySSA.
We can do the same for BFI/BPI.
And, yes - preserving those through loop passes is a cornerstone to this
approach.

> - Add a new proxy ModuleAnalysisManagerLoopProxy for a loop pass to be
> able to get to the ModuleAnalysisManager in one step and PSI through it.
This is just an optimization of compile-time, saves one indirection
through FunctionAnalysisManager.
I'm not even sure if it is worth the effort. And definitely not crucial
for the overall idea.

regards,
   Fedor.