[llvm-dev] Compile for ARM SVE with the latest LLVM

Alex Susu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 5 16:01:06 PST 2019

   Hello.
     I would like to build some examples for ARM SVE.
     I see the support for SVE is available in the AArch64 back end of the latest LLVM.
     So I thought of using the latest LLVM distribution (revision 352287 from Jan 2019)
and not rely on the ARM HPC compiler from
https://developer.arm.com/products/software-development-tools/hpc/arm-cpp-compiler.

     Following
https://static.docs.arm.com/100891/0608/scalable_vector_extension_guide_100891_0608_00_en.pdf,
at page 2-17, I give this command:
         clang -O3 --target=aarch64-arm-none-eabi -march=armv8-a+sve -S test.c -mllvm
-debug # -emit-llvm
     However, the resulting .s (or .ll file) does not contain code for ARM SVE, but vector
code ARM NEON.

     Is there something I'm missing? Or do I really have to use ARM's HPC compiler?

   Thank you very much,
     Alex