[llvm-dev] RFC for f18+runtimes in LLVM

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 1 17:21:12 PST 2019

> * Queued Fortran debugging changes for llvm
>
> Yes, we have three reviews in the queue for changes that extend llvm debug
> metadata to support Fortran constructs in DWARF.   The feedback requested
> that one of the changes be implemented differently, which we have yet to
> budget time to reimplement.  The other feedback was for us to think harder
> about mapping Fortran to existing C constructs; our experience says this
> approach won't work because, for example, Fortran has much richer array
> representation than C (negative bounds, dynamic bounds, bounds that are
> associated with variables & not encapsulated are part of the array
> structure). We also want to stay compatible with the existing Fortran
> aware debuggers that expect a certain shape of DWARF.  This issue is on
> use to explain ourselves more clearly.

Thanks for explaining; I had wondered about the dead air.

It is certainly the case that when you have worked hard on something and
you post your wonderful implementation, you're not exactly expecting
significant push-back and won't have allocated plenty of time for
engaging with the people who think it should work differently!  But this
is in the nature of working with an open-source community.  Working with
"upstream" has a definite cost, but ultimately also a significant benefit.

Please keep engaged, clearly there's a lot of interest here.
--paulr