[llvm-dev] RFC: llvm-readelf Mach-O & COFF options

James Henderson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 28 01:36:55 PDT 2019

llvm-readobj is fine as is, and as far as I know, there's no issue with it
needing to be GNU compatible. llvm-readelf on the other hand should be,
based on various discussions over the last couple of years. I'm not
proposing removing the Mach-O and COFF options from llvm-readobj at all. I
think it makes sense to keep them where they are. What I'm suggesting is
removing them from the options in llvm-readelf ONLY (detected by the name
of the executable, similar to how we already decide what aliases to
support). Ideally, I'd expect these options to still be available in
llvm-readelf, and they'd do exactly the same as what llvm-readobj does,
just that they wouldn't be printed by llvm-readelf --help.

To reiterate, this proposal does not affect the behaviour of the
llvm-readobj executable, unless it has been renamed to llvm-readelf. Does
that make sense?

James