[llvm-dev] A libc in LLVM

Saleem Abdulrasool via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 27 17:30:30 PDT 2019

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 5:22 PM Zachary Turner <zturner at roblox.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 4:58 PM Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd at compnerd.org>
> wrote:
>
>> For what it is worth, I do believe that these files do really belong in
>> the libc project because they are so intricately tied to the implementation
>> of the language.  I just think that the fact these files will be part of
>> the project is merely an implementation detail and should not even be part
>> of the discussion here.
>>

> It's relevant in the sense that any libc implementation on Windows will
> *require* these files to be part of the implementation.  You cannot (as far
> as I'm aware) borrow the ones from MSVCRT and then implement everything
> else yourself.

I feel like I have an even stronger “claim”: independent of any
OS/architecture, unless you are developing a freestanding libc for an
embedded device, you will need this at some point and you cannot borrow
them from another source (which has long been the point of contention about
adding these files to the compiler-rt project - they are tied entirely to
the libc implementation).  As a result, the fact that they will exist is
not important to the discussion, it is a given and an implementation detail
of the runtime.

--
Saleem Abdulrasool
compnerd (at) compnerd (dot) org