[llvm-dev] RFC: llvm-readelf Mach-O & COFF options

James Henderson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 27 03:03:26 PDT 2019

Hi all,

llvm-readelf is an alias for llvm-readobj which aims for GNU compatibility
and is likely the tool that most people migrating to the LLVM binutils will
adopt instead of llvm-readobj. Because it is just an alias, it has
inherited the functionality provided by llvm-readobj, including for non-ELF
targets, with Mach-O and COFF-specific switches available in its interface.
People migrating from GNU readelf won't need these switches.

I have a change up for review to expand the documentation for llvm-readelf
to list all its supported switches (see https://reviews.llvm.org/D63826).
This patch currently includes the Mach-O and COFF specific switches. It was
suggested that these could be surprising and unnecessary, and could be
removed from the patch. If we go ahead and remove them from the
documentation, I think we should remove them from the help text, or
possibly even the available options entirely. I'd be happy to do the work
for this, if the community agrees that llvm-readelf should only support
ELF-related options.

Thoughts?

James