[llvm-dev] A libc in LLVM

Siva Chandra via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 26 22:26:29 PDT 2019

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 1:18 AM Fāng-ruì Sòng <maskray at google.com> wrote:

> Some natural questions:
>
> 1) Will libm be included?

Yes, libm and libpthread are absolutely included. Further, [r]crt*.o files
which support static linking of all kinds are also included.

> 2) How will llvm libc be different from musl in design perspectives?

I have listed our rough goals here:
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2019-June/133360.html
We want llvm libc design to accommodate them from the start.

> Then another natural question is how the kernel differences will be
> effectively isolated. The platform specific macros in compiler-rt may be a
> bit messy now. I hope we can prevent that situation.

We definitely want to avoid "mess". But at the same time, it's hard to talk
about this in a general fashion. We will have to take this up on a case by
case basis and discuss at a narrower scope as to what makes the most
practical sense.