[llvm-dev] A libc in LLVM

Siva Chandra via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 25 16:29:55 PDT 2019

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 3:45 PM Finkel, Hal J. <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

> [...]
> standpoint of my organization, an LLVM libc could provide benefits on both
> production platforms and research/experimental hardware.
>

> and we are increasingly consolidating our toolchains around LLVM. Hence,
> we wanted to see if the LLVM project would be interested in us developing
> this upstream as part of the project.
>
> To be very clear: we don't expect our needs to exactly match everyone
> else's -- part of our impetus is to simplify things wherever we can, and
> that may not quite match what others want in a libc. That said, we do
> believe that the effort will still be directly beneficial and usable for
> the broader LLVM community, and may serve as a starting point for others in
> the community to flesh out an increasingly complete set of libc
> functionality.
>
> We are still in the early stages, but we do have some high-level goals and
> guiding principles of the initial scope we are interested in pursuing:
>

>    1.
>
>    The project should mesh with the "as a library" philosophy of the LLVM
>    project: even though "the C Standard Library" is nominally "a library,"
>    most implementations are, in practice, quite monolithic.
>    2.
>
>    The libc should support static non-PIE and static-PIE linking. This
>    means, providing the CRT (the C runtime) and a PIE loader for static
>    non-PIE and static-PIE linked executables.
>    3.
>
>    If there is a specification, we should follow it. The scope that we
>    need includes most of the C Standard Library; POSIX additions; and some
>    necessary, system-specific extensions. This does not mean we should (or
>    can) follow the entire specification -- there will be some parts which
>    simply aren't worth implementing, and some parts which cannot be safely
>    used in modern coding practice.
>    4.
>
>    Vendor extensions must be considered very carefully, and only admitted
>    when necessary. Similar to Clang and libc++, it does seem inevitable that
>    we will need to provide some level of compatibility with other vendors'
>    extensions.
>    5.
>
>    The project should be an exemplar of developing with LLVM tooling. Two
>    examples are fuzz testing from the start, and sanitizer-supported testing.
>

> Great.
>

> There are also few areas which we do not intend to invest in at this point:
>

>    1.
>
>    Implement dynamic loading and linking support.
>

> It will be useful to have a design document that describes the kind of
> system and capabilities that you're targeting, and then we can discuss how
> the libc might have a modular design that can be adapted for other use
> cases. I mention modularity because, for example, we have accelerator
> hardware and various kind of low-variability/embedded environments where
> many, but not all, POSIX/libc capabilities make sense.

I am of the opinion that modularity should be as fine-grained as possible.
For example, one should be able to pick and package individual functions
into a libc as suitable for their platform.
That said, I am open to other ideas you might have about modularity. I am
also open to getting convinced that function level granularity is an
overkill.