[llvm-dev] [CMake] External File Dependencies for Unit Tests

James Henderson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 25 02:24:36 PDT 2019

Hi Alex,

Would you recommend that I do what is done in
> unittest/ObjectYAML/MinidumpYAMLTest.cpp which just uses a string inside
> the source file, or use an Inputs directory? Both are not great, as you
> point out about using an Inputs directory

I'd be inclined to go with the string in the source file approach. It keeps
the whole test localised to one place, making it easier to understand what
the test is actually testing.

Also, I'm not sure that I can create an object without invoking yaml2obj
> itself, I can't seem to find a function to do this exposed by libObjectYAML.

It looks to me like you'd need to move big chunks of code out of the
yaml2obj tool into the ObjectYAML library. The Minidump version was added
quite recently, and took the approach of doing all the layout in the
library, whereas for most other formats, the work is done in the executable
layer. I think it would be perfectly reasonable to do this code moving, and
would then allow you to use the library in your test setup, similar to how
minidump works.

If I do need to invoke yaml2obj, would you happen to know how to tell CMake
> to build yaml2obj first, and also where would I find that executable?

I'm not a CMake expert by any means, but I think you would need to create a
dependency on yaml2obj from the test target, then add a step in the test's
CMakeLists.txt to run yaml2obj and generate your inputs. I'm still not
convinced that it's the right way to go though.

James

>>> Alex