[llvm-dev] @llvm.memcpy not honoring volatile?

JF Bastien via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 12 21:44:51 PDT 2019

> On Jun 12, 2019, at 9:38 PM, James Y Knight <jyknight at google.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 12:08 PM JF Bastien via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> I think we want option 2.: keep volatile memcpy, and implement it as touching each byte exactly once. That’s unlikely to be particularly useful for every direct-to-hardware uses, but it behaves intuitively enough that I think it’s desirable.
>
> As Eli pointed out, that precludes lowering a volatile memcpy into a call the memcpy library function. The usual "memcpy" library function may well use the same overlapping-memory trick, and there is no "volatile_memcpy" libc function which would provide a guarantee of not touching bytes multiple times. Perhaps it's okay to just always emit an inline loop instead of falling back to a memcpy call.

In which circumstances does this matter?

> But, possibly option 3 would be better. Maybe it's better to force people/compiler-frontends to emit the raw load/store operations, so that it's more clear exactly what semantics are desired.
>
> The fundamental issue to me is that for reasonable usages of volatile, the operand size and number of memmory instructions generated for a given operation actually matters. Certainly, this is a somewhat unfortunate situation, since the C standard explicitly doesn't forbid implementing any volatile access with smaller memory operations. (Which, among other issues, allows tearing as your wg21 doc nicely points out.) Nevertheless, it _is_ an important property -- required by POSIX for accesses of a volatile sig_atomic_t, even -- and is a property which LLVM/Clang does provide when dealing with volatile accesses of target-specific appropriate sizes and alignments.
>
> But, what does that mean for volatile memcpy? What size should it use?

Any size that makes sense to HW.

> Always a byte-by-byte copy?

It can.

> May it do larger-sized reads/writes as well?

Any size, but no larger than memcpy’s size parameter specified.

> Must it do so?

No, but it has to be sensible (whatever that means).

> Does it have to read/write the data in order?

No.

> Or can it do so in reverse order?

Yes.

> Can it use CPU's block-copy instructions (e.g. rep movsb on x86) which may sometimes cause effectively-arbitrarily-sized memory-ops, in arbitrary order, in hardware?

Sure.

> If we're going to keep volatile memcpy support, possibly those other questions ought to be answered too?

Paul McKenney has a follow on paper (linked from R2 of mine) which addresses some of your questions I think. LLVM can do what it wants for now since there’s no standard, but there’s likely to be one eventually and we probably should match what it’s likely to be.