[llvm-dev] [RFC] Coding Standards: "prefer `int` for regular arithmetic, use `unsigned` only for bitmask and when you intend to rely on wrapping behavior."

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 12 18:20:57 PDT 2019

FWIW, the talks linked by Mehdi really do talk about these things and why I
don't think the really are the correct trade-off.

Even if you imagine an unsigned type that doesn't allow wrapping, I think
this is a really bad type. The problem is that you have made the most
common value of the type (zero in every study I'm aware of) be a boundary
condition. Today, it wraps to a huge value if you cross it. Afterward, it
would trap. Both are super surprising.

Another way of looking at the same lens: do you subtract these values?
Should `a + (b - c)` be the same as `(a + b) - c`? You either need a signed
type or wrapping to have reasonable answers here. And if you solve this
with wrapping, then it makes any attempt to write assertions or other
checks in the same type system very difficult. The fact that you write an
assert to check for "did I accidentally go past zero?" by conjuring some
"it's probably too large" value and then comparing if it is *greater* than
that is ... extraordinarily confusing.

Meanwhile, with signed types, it is quite easy to write asserts that check
for non-negative values in the correct places. They are easy to read and
produce easily understood errors. The boundary conditions are uncommon.

Even on the C++ standards committee, there is remarkably strong consensus
that in the *absence* of unsigned types coming back from `.size()` methods
and such, we should be using signed types for the reasons above.

The fact that we have unsigned `size_t` in a bunch of places is, IMO, a
concern and it is important to have good ways of avoiding warnings. But I
think we have so very many ways that don't require us to just use unsigned
types everywhere and deal with the above issues:

- Change the return types of our containers `size()` methods.
- Add a `ssize()` method. (This is the direction the committee is moving
AFAICT, but they are constrained by a powerful desire to break zero code,
where as LLVM's containers have much more API freedom.)
- Use idioms like the one I suggested with `llvm::seq`.

Any or all of these seem significantly preferable to the readability
concerns I outline above, at least to me. This is why I am still *strongly*
in favor of signed types and assertions around value at known points where
the value should obey that assertion.

-Chandler