[llvm-dev] [RFC] Coding Standards: "prefer `int` for regular arithmetic, use `unsigned` only for bitmask and when you intend to rely on wrapping behavior."

Zachary Turner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 11 09:45:06 PDT 2019

I'm personally against changing everything to signed integers.  To me, this
is an example of making code strictly less readable and more confusing in
order to fight deficiencies in the language standard.  I get the problem
that it's solving, but I view this as mostly a theoretical problem, whereas
being able to read the code and have it make sense is a practical problem
that we must face on a daily basis.  If you change everything to signed
integers, you may catch a real problem with it a couple of times a year.
And by "real problem" here, I'm talking about a miscompile or an actual bug
that surfaces in production somewhere, rather than a "yes, it seems
theoretically possible for this to overflow".

On the other hand, a large number of people need to work in this codebase
every day, and multiplied over the same time period, my belief is that
having the code make sense and be simple has a higher net value.

It simply doesn't make sense (conceptually) to use a signed type for
domains that are inherently unsigned, like the size of an object.  IMO, we
should revisit this if and when the deficiencies in the C++ Standard are
addressed.