[llvm-dev] Method to map LLVM IR var name to pc address?

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 11 01:36:08 PDT 2019

Hi,

It's not clear what you mean by 'variable name' here.  If you mean
globals, then they should have the same name in the resulting binary (at
least, before linking discards them for statics).

If you mean function-local variables, then these names are lost even by
the time that you get to LLVM IR (though debug info may provide a way of
recovering them).  You may be able to read both the debug info from the
binary and from the IR to match them together, but debug info is always
best effort so this seems unreliable.

If you mean LLVM IR register names, then these typically don't exist at
all in release builds and do not have a simple mapping to machine
instructions.  A given IR register may exist on the stack, in a register
(or both), or be an intermediate result that is produced and consumed in
the middle of a CISC instruction and never visible outside of hidden
microarchitectural state.

David