[llvm-dev] Short aliases in help text

James Henderson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 10 10:12:31 PDT 2019

Hi all,

GNU binary tools list both their long and short form aliases in
command-line help text, but by default, LLVM tools using the cl::opt
interface only show the "main" form, which is usually the long-form. It is
possible to override this behaviour, but it is not that common to do so in
many tools. In some tools, there's a mixture of behaviour between the two.
I'd like to propose changing the default behaviour of cl::alias to not hide
the short switch, or even better, find a way to wrap them into a single
help text entry like GNU tools do.

Example GNU nm --help snippet:
-a, --debug-syms       Display debugger-only symbols

Equivalent llvm-nm output:
--debug-syms      - Show all symbols, even debugger only

Example llvm-readelf output:
-l                           - Alias for --program-headers
<lots of other options...>
--program-headers            - Display ELF program headers

These are just some examples. I'm sure there is (was?) a reason that
aliases were hidden by default, but doing so can make it hard for people
who are more familiar with short options, and lead to lots of unnecessary
typing.

Thoughts?

James