[llvm-dev] I'm having problems compiling a program. Please help.

Phyl Bean via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jun 1 12:17:52 PDT 2019

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to email for this kind of thing,
but I couldn't find any other contact info.  Also, I am new to llvm, so
please try to be understanding.

I keep getting an error when I try to compile a simple Hello World program
(as a test)(error included below).

The error is:

Clang: warning: unable to find a Visual Studio installation; try running
Clang from a developer command prompt [-Wmsvc-not-found]
hello.c:1:10: fatal error: 'string.h' file not found
#include <string.h>
         ^~~~~~~~~~
1 error generated

It looks as if Clang is looking for a Visual Studio installation for
missing C library headers (string.h, stdio.h, math.h, etc.). Does
Clang/llvm come with C library headers? If not, where can I get them?  I
don't want to install Visual Studio because (to my understanding) it's
proprietary software. I've included the program I'm trying to compile
(hello.c) below.

#include <string.h>
#include <stdio.h>
int main(void){
    print("Hello World!");
    return 0;
}

--

Please note new suite number
******
phylbean at gmail.com
www.phylbeanlaw.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this email message and any
attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain
confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected
from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or
their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please
immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message
and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message
or its attachments is strictly prohibited.