[llvm-dev] [RFC] A new multidimensional array indexing intrinsic

Michael Kruse via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 24 07:21:03 PDT 2019

Am Di., 23. Juli 2019 um 17:16 Uhr schrieb Kaylor, Andrew
<andrew.kaylor at intel.com>:
> Do we really have code that uses the suffix of an intrinsic for semantic information? That seems like a bad idea. My understanding was that the suffix was just there to provide a unique name and the function signature took care of everything else.

I agree that this is also not my preferred option, but more an
illustration that the information is not lost. If, for any reason, we
would still use an intrinsics for this purpose, we can pass the byte
of the element type as an argument. In any case, I don't think this is
a critical issue.

> Implementing an intrinsic that later got promoted to a new instruction might be a possibility. Does anyone have a sense for how far out typeless pointers are?

I haven't seen any discussion about this for a long time and I would
not count on that this change will be made in the foreseeable future.
Similar to the idea of basic block arguments instead of PHI nodes.

> Can someone put together some concrete examples that fully describe how this would look in terms of both the intrinsic proposal and the GEP extension you worked out with Johannes?

The closest we have is the RFC document
(https://github.com/bollu/llvm-multidim-array-indexing-proposal/blob/master/RFC.md).
We are in the RFC phase to explore the problem and design space. Do
you have any concrete questions you would like the be answered?

Michael