[llvm-dev] Adding the LLVM license file to the monorepo root

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 17 12:56:50 PDT 2019

Yes, there are objections to adding a top-level LICENSE.txt, which I also mentioned in the review.
https://reviews.llvm.org/D64875

It's obvious from the .gitignore discussion that different downstream projects handle their additions to /llvm-project in different ways.  If /llvm-project adds a top-level LICENSE.txt file, that creates requirements on how downstream projects manage the licenses for their additions; specifically it requires a LICENSE.txt file in each directory added to the top level. And probably messes with how people have to handle individual files added at the top level.

While I understand your motivation is to simplify things, actually it doesn't; it changes how the license applies downstream, and that should not be done without proper discussion and advance notice.  In particular this is something the LLVM Foundation should initiate, if it feels this is appropriate, and AFAIK you are not part of the Foundation.  Sorry if that sounds harsh, but legalities are a minefield.
--paulr