[llvm-dev] How to contribute on LLVM project as beginner

Chris Ye via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jul 14 20:58:46 PDT 2019

Hi LLVM project Leaders,
I am a software engineer working on several other open source projects, recently I am very interested in LLVM technology, espically on backend part. I have taken two months studying the documents from llvm.org in my spare time. As a beginner, I would like to contribute some code to LLVM project, from the "Google Summer of Code 2019", I found one project "Debug Info should have no effect on codegen" that I may able to contribute, not sure if the project has already been completed? If there are still tasks exist, how can I join in? Or is that any other project I can work on? I would spend 10~20 hours on LLVM development every week as I want to gather experience to find a job as LLVM developer in the furture.  I am a quickly learning, I would be very appricate if you could help me and give me some guides, so that I would run faster on my way to LLVM field. Many thanks.

LLVM
Debug Info should have no effect on codegen

Description of the project: Adding Debug Info (compiling with `clang -g`) shouldn't change the generated code at all. Unfortunately we have bugs. These are usually not too hard to fix and a good way to discover new part of the codebase! We suggest building object files both ways and disassembling the text sections, which will give cleaner diffs than comparing .s files.

Expected results: Reduced test cases, bug reports with analysis (e.g., which pass is responsible), possibly patches.

Confirmed Mentor: Paul Robinson

Desirable skills: Intermediate knowledge of C++, some familiarity with x86 or ARM instruction set.

Best Regards,

Chris Ye