[llvm-dev] Python build dependency in LLVM and/or clang?

Roman Lebedev via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 11 13:51:29 PDT 2019

I'd like to cautiously push back on this too.
While python may or may not already be required to the certain extents
in certain configs,
requiring it for build (for one target, true) 'even more' by writing a
whole upstream TableGen
backed in it is just bad practice IMO.

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 11:44 PM Joerg Sonnenberger via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 11:08:22AM -0500, Michael Kruse wrote:
> > Am Fr., 5. Juli 2019 um 07:01 Uhr schrieb Joerg Sonnenberger via
> > llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>:

> > > At the moment, Python is not truely necessary for building LLVM. The
> > > cmake build system depends on it for some parts, but that's all. I would
> > > be very sad for that to change.
> >
> > llvm-build (LLVMBuild.txt) requires python. The LLVM build will abort with
> >
> >    message(FATAL_ERROR
> >     "Unable to find Python interpreter, required for builds and testing.
> >
> >     Please install Python or specify the PYTHON_EXECUTABLE CMake variable.")
> >
> > without it.
>
> That's what I said. The cmake based build system needs it. LIT is
> optional. It is entirely feasible to have a custom build system and no
> Python at all. It would be quite painful to break that.
>
> Joerg
Roman.