[llvm-dev] Python build dependency in LLVM and/or clang?

Michael Kruse via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 10 09:08:22 PDT 2019

Am Fr., 5. Juli 2019 um 07:01 Uhr schrieb Joerg Sonnenberger via
llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>:

> On Fri, Jul 05, 2019 at 10:43:12AM +0000, Simon Tatham via llvm-dev wrote:
> > But before I do that, I wanted to check whether there would be any
> > objection on grounds of build dependencies. Is it acceptable to require Python
> > as part of the normal build process for LLVM?
>
> At the moment, Python is not truely necessary for building LLVM. The
> cmake build system depends on it for some parts, but that's all. I would
> be very sad for that to change.

llvm-build (LLVMBuild.txt) requires python. The LLVM build will abort with

   message(FATAL_ERROR
    "Unable to find Python interpreter, required for builds and testing.

    Please install Python or specify the PYTHON_EXECUTABLE CMake variable.")

without it.

Michael