[llvm-dev] [llvm-ar] default llvm-ar archive format type gnu vs darwin

Owen Reynolds via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 10 06:02:28 PDT 2019

Hi all,

I've been making some additional tests for llvm-ar recently and was
surprised by the behaviour regarding which archive format to output when
the --format argument hasn't been used.

>From 273373:

Try to be more clever about selecting the default format.  When an existing
archive is used, use the type of the archive to determine the format.  When
existing members are present, use the first member's format to determine the
format to use.  If we are creating an empty archive (MRI mode) or are adding
non-object members, default to the current behaviour of using the host type
due
to the lack of a better alternative.  This aids in cross-compilation on
Darwin
to non-Darwin platforms which rely on GNU format archives.

This doesn't seem ideal to me, particularly the use of the first member to
decide format as this is not obvious from a user perspective. Would it be
better to just default to host type or treat them as separate tools and
decide default format by tool name?

Thanks,

Owen