[llvm-dev] llvm-config issues

David Wiberg via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jul 7 22:28:33 PDT 2019

Den mån 8 juli 2019 kl 04:19 skrev Marc Defossez via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>:

> Hi,
>
> I hope I can ask my question here and get answers, hints about what might be wrong.
>     Googled, but got no meaningful answer
>     Asked GHDL developers but it's not a GHDL issue.
>     Thus, I arrived here
>     Already many thanks in advance.
>
> - System: Linux-Mint 19
> - For building of GHDL, LLVM is required.
> - Went to apt.llvm.org
> - Browsed down till Ubuntu square and add the LLVM-8 deb and deb-src line for Ubuntu 18.04 as a .list file to the apt source.list.d of my system (Ubuntu-18.04 because Mint-19 is based on it).
> - Browsed further down the page and followed the qualification branch install procedure.
> - Everything installed without any error or warning.
> - Typing afterwards in the terminal: "clang-8 --version" results in this return:
>
> clang version 8.0.1-svn363027-1~exp1~20190611211629.77 (branches/release_80)
> Target: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
> Thread model: posix
> InstalledDir: /usr/bin
>
> - Running in the terminal the configure command for GHDL:
>          "../configure --with-llvm-config=/usr/bin/llvm-config-8 --prefix=/opt/Ghdl"
>   results in this output:
>
> Use full IEEE library
> Build machine is: x86_64-linux-gnu
> Unhandled version llvm 8.0.1
>
> Why do I get:     Unhandled version llvm 8.0.1

Hi Marc,

The error message you are seeing originates from the GHDL configure
command. It seems like GHDL support for LLVM 8 was added pretty
recently (see https://github.com/ghdl/ghdl/commit/7328eae022b0b85c2071ea4d4aaad0c7a97ca436#diff-e2d5a00791bce9a01f99bc6fd613a39d)
so my best tips would be to make sure you have the latest GHDL
version. This does not seem to be an LLVM issue.

Best Regards
David