[llvm-dev] Seeking suggestions about interfacing of LLVM DataFlowSanitizer library with KLEE in C code.

Hossain,Muhammad Monir via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 5 18:32:08 PDT 2019

Dear Developers,

I am a Master's student at the ECE department of the University of Florida, USA.​​ For my research project, supervised by Prof. Mark Tehranipoor<http://tehranipoor.ece.ufl.edu/> and Prof. Farimah Farahmandi<http://farimah.ece.ufl.edu/>,  I need to use Clang LLVM DataflowSanitizer library in KLEE. However, I have faced some difficulties (explained below) while interfacing this library with KLEE and I am seeking your help to solve it.

For our research purpose, we are using LLVM compiler and LLVM DataFlowSanitizer library. We instrumented a C code using LLVM DataFlowSanitizer library (from dfsan_interface.h) along with the insertion of some KLEE assertion (from klee.h) and converted it to LLVM Bit-code. Then we provided this LLVM Bit-code to KLEE (software verification tool) to run with the archive library of DataFlowSanitizer tool, libclang_rt.dfsan-x86_64.a. But, KLEE showed the following error.

[cid:99d3b241-aa41-425f-94fb-1395932c5c00]

However, to figure out the problem, I have built a sample custom archive library from the object files generated by Clang/LLVM (using cmd llvm-ar) and used this library in a C code along with KLEE. In this case, KLEE gave the same error as above. Then I generated the same sample custom archive library from the LLVM bit-code files and this time KLEE executed successfully. Hence, I am afraid whether KLEE requires the bit-code version of libclang_rt.dfsan-x86_64.a or there is any other solution.

In this circumstance, it would be great if you could direct me to resolve this issue. Please let me know if you need any other information.

Thank you,
Monir