[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [Github] RFC: linear history vs merge commits

Roman Lebedev via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 31 09:51:24 PST 2019

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 8:29 PM David Greene via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Mehdi AMINI <joker.eph at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > What is the practical plan to enforce the lack of merges? When we
> > looked into this GitHub would not support this unless also forcing
> > every change to go through a pull request (i.e. no pre-receive hooks
> > on direct push to master were possible). Did this change? Are we
> > hoping to get support from GitHub on this?
> >
> > We may write this rule in the developer guide, but I fear it'll be
> > hard to enforce in practice.
>
> Again, changes aren't going through git yet, right?  Not until SVN is
> decommissioned late this year (or early next).  SVN requires a strict
> linear history so it handles the enforcement for now.

> My personal opinion is that when SVN is decomissioned we should use pull
> requests, simply because that's what's familiar to the very large
> development community outside LLVM.  It will lower the bar to entry for
> new contributors.  This has all sorts of implications we need to discuss
> of course, but we have some time to do that.
My personal opinion is an opposite of that one.

*Does* LLVM want to switch from phabricator to github pr's?
I personally don't recall previous discussions.
Personally, i hope not, i hope phabricator should/will stay.

Low bar for entry is good, but not at the cost of raising the bar
for the existing development community.
In particular, i'm saying that github's ui/workflow/feature set
is inferior to that one of phabricator.

Is the low entry bar the only benefit?
While it is good, it should not be the only factor.
The contributors will already need to know how to build LLVM,
write tests, make meaningful changes to the code.
Additionally having to know how to work with phabricator
isn't that much to ask for, considering the other prerequisites..

> If we don't use PRs, then we're pretty much on the honor system to
> disallow merges AFAIK.
>
>                              -David
Roman.