[llvm-dev] [RFC] Vector Predication

Simon Moll via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 31 07:58:35 PST 2019

Hi,

There is now an RFC for a roadmap to native vector predication support
in LLVM and a prototype implementation:

   https://reviews.llvm.org/D57504

The prototype demonstrates:

-  Predicated vector intrinsics with an explicit mask and vector length
parameter on IR level.
-  First-class predicated SDNodes on ISel level. Mask and vector length
are value operands.
-  An incremental strategy to generalize
PatternMatch/InstCombine/InstSimplify and DAGCombiner to work on both
regular instructions and EVL intrinsics.
-  DAGCombiner example: FMA fusion.
-  InstCombine/InstSimplify example: FSub pattern re-writes.
-  Early experiments on the LNT test suite (Clang static release, O3
-ffast-math) indicate that compile time on non-EVL IR is not affected by
the API abstractions in PatternMatch, etc.

We’d like to get your feedback, in particular on the following to move
forward:

-  Can we agree on EVL intrinsics as a transitional step to predicated
IR instructions?
-  Can we agree on native EVL SDNodes for CodeGen?
-  Are the changes to InstCombine/InstSimplify/DAGCombiner and utility
classes that go with it acceptable?

Thanks
Simon

--