[llvm-dev] [Github] RFC: linear history vs merge commits

Hubert Tong via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 29 20:08:45 PST 2019

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 10:31 PM Bruce Hoult via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> How about:
>
> Require a rebase, followed by git merge --no-ff

For personal use, I like this the most. Unfortunately, I think this is more
of a command-line workflow that the GitHub UI is not friendly with.
In particular, the UI has roughly: merge (creates yet another merge
commit), squash, and rebase. All of these prevent the intended result.