[llvm-dev] [Github] RFC: linear history vs merge commits

Jeremy Lakeman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 29 16:55:40 PST 2019

[Armchair observer...]

If any merges are allowed, they should be rare, have recent parent commits,
or the history graph becomes useless.

4. Each reviewed bug / feature must be rebased onto the current "known
good" commit, merged into a "probably good" commit, tested by build bots,
and only then pushed to trunk. Keeping trunk's history more usable, with
most bad patches reworked and resubmitted instead of reverted.

5. When a new feature is broken up into a patch series, the series should
be rebased then immediately merged to help identify the individual patches
in the history graph.