[llvm-dev] llvm-lit output directory - role?

Martin Storsjö via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 28 03:15:43 PST 2019

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019, alexp via llvm-dev wrote:

> I use llvm-lit in my own project. Works fine so far.
> However, executing the tests, I get output directories which are empty.
> Whats the role of them? I could not find any hint in the docu.
>
> I was expecting that e.g. for RUN: X, the output of X would be located
> there.
> I can use RUN: X > log, then I get a log file right besides the test
> file, and not in oputput.

The normal pattern (within llvm) to use lit tests is that they shouldn't
write into the current directory. Instead use %t to get a base for a
temporary pathname (which resides within the output directory). Here you
could do e.g. "RUN X > %t.log".

> Where can I find more docu about the output directories?

I'm not aware of any docs specifically about the output directory in
itself, but
https://llvm.org/docs/CommandGuide/lit.html#pre-defined-substitutions
describes the substitutions you can use to refer to source/temp paths.

// Martin