[llvm-dev] Concatenating DWARF location expressions

Markus Lavin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 25 10:31:54 PST 2019

> From: aprantl at apple.com <aprantl at apple.com>

> Since it sounds like the problem is only with implicit descriptions, would a rule
> such as "if the expression has a DW_OP_stack_value, add an extra
> DW_OP_deref" work for the PrologueEpilgueInserter or do we need
> something more principled?

Right, that could very well be sufficient for this particular case so I will experiment with that. In general though and for the future it seems that it would be of benefit to have additional metadata in the expressions indicating if they describe e.g. a memory address, a value or whatnot. This would perhaps allow us to implement a simple debug expression verifier.

Thanks!
-Markus