[llvm-dev] MSBuild incremental builds are broken with LLVM 6 (and beyond)

Scott Funkenhauser via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 25 07:00:01 PST 2019

Hi,

Starting with LLVM 6, MSBuild incremental builds stopped working. I've
tracked this down to a CL that modified how file renaming was done on
Windows. It appears that FileTracker does not recognize renaming a file
with SetFileInformationByHandle.

https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/commit/1b6a51a1425cc0180359ecd64733edb965f65d7c#diff-70db51c38d748dc9debf5f309643fcd8

You can repro this fairly easily by:
1) Downloading the prebuilt binaries of LLVM 6 or 7 for Windows.
2) Creating a new C++ project (I just chose the default console
application) in VS 2017.
3) Mess with the project settings to disable all the features clang doesn't
support (Conformance mode, Just my code, etc...)
4) Build

Every time you build it will rebuild everything.

I'm curious if this is a known issue? (I couldn't find any open bugs
relating to this)
Is MSBuild incremental builds something that is officially supported? Or
did it just work in the past by chance?

Thanks,
Scott