[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [8.0.0 Release] One week to the branch

Martin Storsjö via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 24 14:21:14 PST 2019

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019, Hans Wennborg wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 3:51 AM Martin Storsjö <martin at martin.st> wrote:
>>
>> FWIW, I've got the main COFF functionality that I had planned on doing
>> committed in trunk by now. So at least for my own usecases, it's fully
>> functional by now. (And for unsupported options, it clearly errors out.)
>>
>> If there's an interest in this, it should be easy to backport to the
>> release branch (with no regression risk, as I believe none of the patches
>> since the branch touch anything outside of the COFF directory), but I
>> don't have a direct need myself to have it in the release.
>
> Since it's low-risk and finishing up functionality, if it's just a
> small amount of patches we might as well merge it over. Do you have a
> list of what commits are involved?

In SVN revisions, it's the following:

351657
351658
351659
351660
351661
351662
351663
351799
351800
351801
351811
351931
351934
351946
351947
351948

In a git mirror, it's trivial to find these commits with the following
command:

git log $(git merge-base origin/release_80 master)..master tools/llvm-objcopy/COFF test/tools/llvm-objcopy/COFF

Among these commits, there's one cycle of "Implement --add-gnu-debuglink",
"Revert 'Implement --add-gnu-debuglink'", "Reapply: Implement
--add-gnu-debuglink", "Remove testcase debugging lines. NFC.". If you
prefer, you can pick all of them to keep it similar to trunk, or you can
just pick the first one of them, since the latter three end up a no-op.
(The fix for the issue that caused the revert is in r351934.)

Among the commits listed by git, there's one generic llvm-objcopy
refactoring that I didn't list above ("Return Error from
Buffer::allocate(), [ELF]Writer::finalize(), and [ELF]Writer::commit()"),
and the license header change that shouldn't be backported. After
backporting the commits to the branch, the diff to the trunk version of
the tools/llvm-objcopy/COFF directory is only these two commits.

So, not exactly trivial and minimal, but still pretty well isolated.

// Martin