[llvm-dev] [RFC] migrating past C++11

JF Bastien via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 24 10:15:20 PST 2019

> On Jan 23, 2019, at 4:15 PM, via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> If we claim to support a Thing, then we should accept patches to fix when the Thing breaks.  Whether a bot verifies that the Thing works, is not really relevant; "support" means "we say this works and will fix it when it breaks."
>
> A bot is a service to the community in that it can tell you more-or-less promptly when you have broken a Thing. It is not the only way to determine that you have broken a Thing.  However, it does tell you that you have broken a Thing that somebody thinks is worth putting up a bot to verify that it stays not-broken.
> Given the number of times lately that newcomers have had difficulty getting started (because some Thing we claim works, actually doesn't), I think it would be valuable to the ongoing health of the project to have bots verifying the particular Thing that is the minimum supported compiler versions.  This doesn't mean I'm volunteering to provide that resource; neither does it mean I refuse to provide that resource. I am pointing out that it would be valuable generally, and as part of this longer-term goal to specify minimum compiler versions, it would be a Good Thing™ to be able to tell promptly when we've accidentally broken that, so that newcomers don't beat their head against a wall and go away disgusted with an open-source project that lies to them about supported configurations.

I agree that what you describe would be good. I don’t see why it’s relevant to this discussion: we’re talking about changing the minimum toolchain version. Whether there are bots running the minimum toolchain version today is a fact disassociated from any proposed minimum change. Indeed, the policy we just adopted (and which I’m following) doesn’t mention bots.

For sure if someone has a bot running older toolchains we want them to upgrade to the new minimum, so this RFC and soft-error will give them proper heads up. I hope they’ll chime in if they have concerns or suggestions.

I therefore think that you want to fork this discussion point into a separate email thread, since it’ll help it move this RFC forward without distraction.