[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] _Float16 support

Sjoerd Meijer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 24 01:46:35 PST 2019

Hello,

I added _Float16 support to Clang and codegen support in the AArch64 and ARM backends, but have not looked into x86. Ahmed is right: AArch64 is fine, only a few ACLE intrinsics are missing. ARM has rough edges: scalar codegen should be mostly fine, vector codegen needs some more work.

Implementation for AArch64 was mostly straightforward (it only has hard float ABI, and has half register/type support), but for ARM it was a huge pain to plumb f16 support because of different ABIs (hard/soft), different architecture extensions of FP and FP16 support, and the existence of another half-precision type with different semantics. Sounds like you're doing a similar exercise, and yes, argument passing was one of the trickiest parts.

> IR and SelectionDAG representational choices aside, it seems to me that,

> like GCC, Clang should not be permitting _Float16 on any target  that doesn't

> specify an ABI for it, because otherwise we're just creating future compatibility

> problems for that target.  I'm surprised and  disappointed that it wasn't implemented

> this way.

Apologies, I missed that.

Sjoerd.