[llvm-dev] (in x86, ) Use ebp or esp to access local variable? what's different?

Craig Topper via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 22 21:52:18 PST 2019

When EBP is used, it's known as the frame pointer. It points to a fixed
location on the stack throughout the body of the function. It makes local
variables easy to find because they are always at the same place relative
to EBP. ESP's value can change through the function as other functions are
called. So the location of a local variable can require a different offset
depending on how much ESP has been changed throughout the function. Having
a frame pointer makes a debugging tool like gdb's job easier. But using a
frame pointer ties up another register. Leaving only 6 registers available
for computation in 32-bit mode. So by default for optimized code we try not
to use it. There are still situations where it is required. You can force
the frame pointer to always be used by passing -fno-omit-frame-pointer to
clang.

Some more information can be found here
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/579262/what-is-the-purpose-of-the-ebp-frame-pointer-register

~Craig