[llvm-dev] Need help: How to turn off the constant folding optimization in llvm

Cranmer, Joshua via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 22 13:30:31 PST 2019

The way that the front-end lowers code to IR causes this sort of constant folding to happen even before any LLVM IR is generated. Essentially, when you do the AST traversal, you’re going to essentially see the following code get run:

IRBuilder<> Builder;
Value *LHS = Builder.getInt32(2);
Value *RHS = Builder.getInt32(4);
// LHS and RHS are ConstantInt values because they’re constant expressions.
Value *Res = Builder.CreateMul(LHS, RHS); // Because LHS and RHS are constant values, the IRBuilder folds this to a constant expression.

This constant folding cannot be turned off. (I’m also assuming there’s no other constant folding going on at the Clang AST level).