[llvm-dev] [RFC] Toolchain update policy (migrating LLVM past C++11)

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 17 02:02:47 PST 2019

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 1:49 AM Jonas Toth via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> +1 for keeping up to date :)
>
> Should the policy say something about old code as well?
>
> Do we consider it as good/reasonable to modernize our code once the new
> standards are allowed?
> I am thinking of clang-tidy modernization as an approach to modernize
> automatically and reduce manual burden.
> In general we aim for a consistent style in the code-base and a view words
> regarding this issue would be interesting in my opinion.

I think the coding standards used with new code should be a very separate
discussion. While the motivation here is about moving to C++14 and/or
C++17, what is actually being discussed is just the host toolchain, as that
is the part that requires tooling and other mechanical things we need to
get right along side any policy. (It also has much more impact on the
library *users* IMO, as opposed to primarily impacting LLVM *developers*.
While these overlap, they're not the same.)

I'd have a separate discussion about establishing coding standards and
actually updating the language standard when we have toolchains in place
that support it.