[llvm-dev] PSA: the future of compiler-rt’s Scudo

Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 16 01:15:36 PST 2019

On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 at 10:41, David Chisnall via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 14/01/2019 21:56, Kostya Kortchinsky via llvm-dev wrote:
> > An early plan was to move to our own googlesource repository (or the
> > like), but Chandler suggested we stay in compiler-rt, as a separate
> > directory that could be a slice of the new git monorepo. This appeared
> > to be acceptable to everybody involved (Chandler, Kostya S., Petr,
> > Roland, Julia), and is now the plan of record. Once the standalone
> > version is in, the non-standalone Scudo will likely be deprecated,
> > although this part hasn’t been formalized yet.
>
> So now we have a project that is loosely coupled to LLVM, can be built
> without any other parts of LLVM, can be built as part of another shared
> library that takes no dependencies on LLVM, will have contributors that
> do not contribute to the rest of LLVM, but requires a clone of the
> entire LLVM project to be able to access?
>
> This is precisely the use case that caused many objections to the
> everything-in-the-monorepo model.

FWIW, partial-clone support in git is under active development. git
clone --filter was introduced in 2.19 with further improvements in
2.20. It will take a while to be fully fleshed out and support to be
added to public servers, but in time this should address concerns
about large clones needed for small sub-projects.
<https://www.git-scm.com/docs/partial-clone>

Best,

Alex