[llvm-dev] Removing LLVM_ALWAYS_INLINE from ADT classes

Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 9 04:56:51 PST 2019

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 at 19:35, Chris Bieneman <chris.bieneman at me.com> wrote:

> Historically there was a request to make LLVM_OPTIMIZED_TABLEGEN On by default for debug builds, which I discouraged. At the time it was suggested that workflow was fairly new and untested in a lot of build configurations. Today I believe that situation is slightly better.
>
> I believe there are still issues with it not working correctly in the Xcode generator, but I know people have used it successfully with Visual Studio.
>
> I think that enabling it by default in Debug builds is probably reasonable for most generators, but anyone looking to make that change should expect some bumps in the road.

Although it's super handy to have it available, IMHO the risks of
writing, submitting, and ultimately committing incorrect .td
modifications mean that making LLVM_OPTIMIZED_TABLEGEN the default
would be unwise. It might be more feasible if there were a 'check-td'
target that put all the .td specified in the CMakeLists for each
configured target through a debug+asserts or release+asserts tblgen.

In fact maybe there should be a warning in the current CMake docs to
indicate of using a no-asserts tblgen binary while hacking on LLVM.

Best,

Alex